Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Light (Gone # 6) by Michael Grant Review


Name: Light (Gone # 6)
Author: Michael Grant
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: April 2nd, 2013
Format: Hardcover
Buy the book on Amazon
411 pages

Summary:
It's been over a year since all the adults disappeared. Gone.

In the time since every person over the age of fourteen disappeared from the town of Perdido Beach, California, countless battles have been fought: battles against hunger and lies and plague, and epic battles of good against evil. And now, the gaiaphage has been reborn as Diana's malicious mutant daughter, Gaia. Gaia is endlessly hungry for destruction. She yearns to conquer her Nemesis, Little Pete, and then bend the entire world to her warped will. As long-standing enemies become allies, secrets are revealed and unexpected sacrifices are made. Will their attempts to save themselves and one another matter in the end, or will the kids of Perdido Beach perish in this final power struggle?

Light, the sixth and final book in the New York Times bestselling Gone series by Michael Grant, creates a masterful, arresting conclusion to life in the FAYZ.

Goodreads

My Review:

When Michael Grant's first book in this series, Gone, originally came out in 2008, I knew I would be hooked, and almost five years later I am both excited and saddened to see the end of one of my favorite series.

What a great conclusion this was!  It only took me one day to read all four hundred pages: the plot moved quickly and I was so riveted by the events and the characters that I could barely stray even a few feet from the book until I finished it.  One of my favorite parts of this series is how realistic Grant makes this obviously fantastical world seem.  Even when there are man-eating, talking coyotes and humans who can shoot lasers out of their hands, I still found the characters and events entirely plausible, and felt for all the kids stuck in the FAYZ.

I thought Grant did a great job at ending the series.  Keeping up with the realism (or however close this book can get to realism) of the novel, not all the kids are able to survive the disastrous events of the FAYZ.  Although there are plenty of kids dying in every book, this one seems to take it to a whole new level: not only do random and/or barely introduced kids die, but there are several characters whose deaths in this final book were extremely upsetting.  I knew going into this book that there were some characters who would have to die, but reading about their deaths was still saddening.

I don't want to spoil the end of the book for those of you who have not yet read it, but the one thing I do wish was that Grant gave a little bit more information in the already long Aftermath section at the end.  I guess this is me being a little greedy, but I wish that I could have found out more about some of the minor characters!  However, overall this was a fantastic end to an amazing series, and if you have not read Grant's Gone series yet, then you should definitely do so!  You won't regret it!!

My Rating:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!