Monday, April 16, 2012

The Masters of the Veil by Daniel Cohen Review

Name: The Masters of the Veil
Author: Daniel Cohen
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press
Release Date: March 1st, 2012
Format: ARC from publisher
Buy the Book on Amazon
Thank you Spencer Hill Press for sending me a copy of this book for review!!

Life can't get much better for Sam Lock. Popular, good-looking, and with a future as a professional football player. every guy at Stanton High School wishes he were Sam. That is, until his championship football game, when Sam accidentally links with an ancient source of energy known as the Veil and reveals his potential to become a powerful sorcerer.Sam is whisked off to Atlas Crown, a community of sorcerers who utilize the Veil as a part of everyday life. Once there, he trains beside a mute boy who speaks through music, an eternal sage who's the eyes and ears of the Veil, and a beautiful girl who's pretty sure Sam's an idiot. As it becomes clear Sam's meant for power magic-the most feared and misunderstood form of sorcery-people beyond Atlas Crown learn of his dangerous potential. An exiled group of power sorcerers are eager to recruit Sam, believing that he is destined to help them achieve their long-held goal. If they succeed, they could bring about the downfall of not only Atlas Crown. but all humankind.-Goodreads

My Review:
At first, I wasn't sure how much I was going to like this book..I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi/magic types of books but I went into this one with an open mind and I am glad that I did!!

One of my favorite parts about this book was that it was told from a male's point of view (the main character Sam). I haven't really read any books with a male point of view so it was really interesting to see things from his take! I also really liked the main character Sam, at first he seemed like a typical high school jock, but as the novel progressed he really grew as a character and he learns a lot about himself and becomes a really great character.

I also really liked the plot of this story!! It was very detailed and Daniel Cohen creates a great universe. I was definitely on the edge of my seat during certain parts of this book..I had no idea what was coming and what I was going to expect!!

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! I wasn't sure if I was going to be a huge fan of it at first but I am really glad I read this one!!

My Rating:
Four out of Five Stars

3 comments:

  1. This is my first time hearing about this book! It sounds interesting though. I'll take your word for it, and add it to my TBR list. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of this book before either but it definitely sounds very interesting. I'm intrigued to find out how the mute character was written into the story.

    Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I have this on my shelf sitting for awhile now, geez this sounds gso good, cant wait to read it. Great review Sarah x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!