Sunday, April 8, 2012

The Selection by Kiera Cass Review


Name: The Selection
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Release Date: April 24th, 2012
Source: ARC E-book
Pre-Order the book on Amazon
Thank you HarperTeen and Edelweiss for sending me a copy of The Selection!!

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.
Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.-Goodreads

My Review:
Wow..I was completely blown away by this book..I fell in love with the story/the characters and this easily is one of my all time favorite books. Once I started The Selection I could not put it down..and it was so hard to tear myself away from this awesome world that Kiera Cass creates!!

One of my favorite parts of The Selection was the plot!! At first, I was a little bit unsure about the dystopian (seeing that I'm not a huge fan of dystopian but I am definitely warming up to more books in this genre) aspect of this book, but once I started this book I liked how the world had changed but it still had aspects that made the people and places seem relatable. I also loved the idea of a competition for girls to "win" the heart of a Prince. Kiera Cass does such a great job of weaving the caste system that she creates into the novel, with the "reality show" idea of one girl winning and becoming a princess. I was so drawn into the story and how all of these girls are vying to win Prince Maxon's heart that I just couldn't stop reading!

I also really liked the main character America! She is a such a strong character, and is willing to stand up for herself, but she is also down to earth and doesn't let the competition get to her head. Overall, she is a very normal girl and can definitely relate to teenagers who read this book! She has the characteristics of a leader but is so kindhearted and is willing to help anyone. However, America also can be a little bit stubborn and isn't afraid to tell people what she believes which makes me like her even more!

Now onto the love triangle..at first I thought I thought this book might have a love triangle similar to Twilight where both boys are at odds with each other over a girl's heart..but I didn't really feel a love triangle at all in The Selection (at least not till the end!). Usually I'm not a huge fan of love triangles but Kiera Cass really made it work and I liked how American interacted with both boys! At first I thought I would be a huge team Aspen fan..but as the novel progressed and we learned more about Prince Maxon..I have to say that he has won me over. Maxon is so kind, and such a sweetheart that I really really liked him. While Aspen is also a great guy..he can be a little bit of a heartbreaker..but I have to say that I am interested in seeing both boys try to win America's heart!!

One of the best parts of this book was that at certain points Kiera Cass made me feel like I was in the audience watching all of this unfold and I loved that! The added bonuses of action in this novel were also great..they didn't distract from the overall plot of the story but they definitely made the novel even stronger and I really enjoyed reading those scenes!!

Overall, I LOVED The Selection! I can't wait for the second book in the series..especially after the ending of this one!! Please don't let negative reviews of this book steer you away from it..give it a chance! I promise it will be worth your while :) If you want to read an awesome book with glamour, action, romance, princesses, dystopian, and an amazing female lead you should check this book out!! Also..they are possibly making The Selection into a tv show on the CW in the fall..how awesome is that?!

My Rating: Five out of Five Stars

P.S. Here's a quick look of who is playing who in the tv show!!

Aimee Teegarden is playing America


Ethan Peck is playing Prince Maxon








William Mosely is playing Aspen

12 comments:

  1. Hi there,
    Great review, I can't wait to be able to read this book and I love the fact that it will be a tv show hopefully.

    Book Enslaved

    ReplyDelete
  2. *Squeals* I can not wait for this book! It looks amazing and thanks for such the great review!
    Unfortunetly I don't think I have that channel. :'(

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow this book sounds soo good. I cant wait to read it. great review girl! x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, now I definitely need to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WHOA! "one of my all time favorite books" WOW! I've been hearing mixed things about this book, but now that I read your review, I can't wait. Wonderful review, Sarah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I know some people have doubts but I still really liked it and I think that everyone should give this one a chance :)

      Delete
  6. Fantastic review I am glad you enjoyed it as much as I did. You have a lovely blog and I followed you back. Thanks so much for stopping by mine :)
    Kimba the Caffeinated Book Reviewer

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fab review, Sarah! I'd read a couple of lukewarm reviews of The Selection, and I was kind of worried. SO glad to see a glowing review, and so excited to read it now!

    I totally thought this was going to be abot Aspen... so excited to meet Maxon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm looking forward to these 35 girls battling it out for the prince. I'm sad to hear that Aspen isn't in it much. I've heard most people say they are on team Maxon and he sounds sweet. I'm sure it will be quite a fight in the next book. I can't wait to see how America handles her spot on the bachelor type fight for the prince.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!