Friday, April 20, 2012

The Vicious Deep by Zoraida Cordova Review

Name: The Vicious Deep  
Author: Zoraida Cordova  
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire  
Release Date: May 1st, 2012  
Format: E-Book ARC
Pre-Order the Book on Amazon
Thank you Netgalley and Sourcebooks Fire for sending me a copy of the Vicious Deep for review!!

For Tristan Hart, everything changes with one crashing wave. 

He was gone for three days. Sucked out to sea in a tidal wave and spit back ashore at Coney Island with no memory of what happened. Now his dreams are haunted by a terrifying silver mermaid with razor-sharp teeth. 

 His best friend Layla is convinced something is wrong. But how can he explain he can sense emotion like never before? How can he explain he’s heir to a kingdom he never knew existed? That he’s suddenly a pawn in a battle as ancient as the gods. 
Something happened to him in those three days. He was claimed by the sea…and now it wants him back.-Goodreads

My Review:
What a really great read!! The Vicious Deep definitely is one of my all time favorite mermaid reads and is a really great beach read (I read this one during spring break on the beach..so it got me in the perfect mood to read this book)!!

One of my favorite parts about this book was that the book is told from a male point of view. Not many YA books, especially mermaid books, are told from a male perspective so it was really interesting to see a male's take on things. Zoraida Cordova does a fantastic job of making the reader feel like they are going through want Tristan is going through and she makes him really relatable as well. Tristan, probably is my new book crush, can be hysterical at times, but has his moments where he is raw with emotion and is so sincere and I really loved seeing him progress throughout the novel.

Another one of my favorite parts about this book was the plot. At first, I didn't really know what to expect about The Vicious Deep. I wasn't sure if this book was about sirens, or mermaids. Once I started, however, I was immediately sucked in and could not put this book down!! I found myself staying up extra late to see what would happen to Tristan next. I don't want to give away any spoilers but I will say that Zoraida Cordova does a really great job of keeping the reader on the edge of his/her seat and making the novel extra suspenseful.

Overall, I really really enjoyed The Vicious Deep and I think this has to be my new favorite mermaid book! I loved seeing things from a guys perspective and I really loved the main character Tristan. I am really looking forward to the next book in the series. If you want a great summer paranormal read then you have to check this book out!

My Rating: Five out of Five Stars

3 comments:

  1. I have yet to read a mermaid book because I am not really sure of they are for me, but you definitely make me want to give this one a try! I love male POV so perhaps when I am ready to give a mermaid book a try, this will be the one! Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, this sounds good. Most of the books Ive read about mermaids have been a disappointment. The only mermaids I loved was Lost Voices. I will have to try this one. thanks Sarah Great review. x

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  3. I checked this book out of the library, and then returned it when my time with it was up. I didn't read it. Somehow, I just couldn't get into the book. This is definitely my type of book, but I just couldn't do it. But, you loved the book and gave it five stars. I loved what you had to say about the book. So when I go back, I will definitely pick it up again. Thanks for the review! :D

    Alyssa Susanna

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!