Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Mystic City by Theo Lawrence Review

Name: Mystic City
Author: Theo Lawrence
Publisher: Random House
Release Date: October 9th, 2012
Format: E-Book ARC
352 pages 
Pre-Order the book on Amazon

Summary:
For fans of Matched, The Hunger Games, X-Men, and Blade Runner comes a tale of a magical city divided, a political rebellion ignited, and a love that was meant to last forever. Book One of the Mystic City Novels.

Aria Rose, youngest scion of one of Mystic City's two ruling rival families, finds herself betrothed to Thomas Foster, the son of her parents' sworn enemies. The union of the two will end the generations-long political feud—and unite all those living in the Aeries, the privileged upper reaches of the city, against the banished mystics who dwell below in the Depths. But Aria doesn't remember falling in love with Thomas; in fact, she wakes one day with huge gaps in her memory. And she can't conceive why her parents would have agreed to unite with the Fosters in the first place. Only when Aria meets Hunter, a gorgeous rebel mystic from the Depths, does she start to have glimmers of recollection—and to understand that he holds the key to unlocking her past. The choices she makes can save or doom the city—including herself.


Goodreads

My Review:
At first, I really didn't know what to expect with Mystic City. I've had a love hate relationship with dystopian books-some I have absolutely loved and others I have really loathed. I am happy to say that I really really enjoyed Mystic City! Has to be one of my favorite dystopian's that I have read in a long time!

One of my favorite parts about Mystic City definitely was the uniqueness of the plot. It was interesting to see what the author imagined what New York might look like in the future. It was cool to see the different advancements in technology and how the world had become such a different place. I really loved how the author was able to use such vivid imagery in describing the city: I could really picture it in my head! What I liked about the plot was that it had sort of a Romeo and Juliet feel to it-but with many twists and turns! I loved how the plot was unpredictable at times and there were so many parts that I didn't expect. The aspect of the mystics was a great part to the plot too! It was cool to see how the author Incorporated that into the plot and made it very unique! I liked learning about the mythology of the mystic too..and I can't wait to learn more about them in the next book!

I also really liked the main character Aria. It was great to see her progress throughout the novel and I really liked seeing her character develop! What I liked so much about her was that she didn't give up-and when she knew something was wrong she wasn't going to give in. She knew that she didn't love Thomas-and she didn't give into all the lies swirling around her. I also liked seeing her relationship with Hunter. No matter what they went through they kept fighting for a chance at love and I really liked them together! I thought their relationship was very sweet and I can't wait to see more of them in the next book.

Overall, I really enjoyed Mystic City! It was a great summer read and an awesome dystopian book! If you are looking for something similar to delirium and shatter me..definitely pick this one up!

 
My Rating:







1 comment:

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!