Saturday, January 5, 2013

Princess of the Silver Woods By Jessica Day George Review

Name: Princess of the Silver Woods
Author: Jessica Day George
Publisher:  Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Release Date: December 11th, 2012
Format: E-Book ARC
Buy the book on Amazon
336 pages

Thank you Netgalley and Bloomsbury for sending me a copy of this book for review!

Summary:
When Petunia, the youngest of King Gregor's twelve dancing daughters, is invited to visit an elderly friend in the neighboring country of Westfalin, she welcomes the change of scenery. But in order to reach Westfalin, Petunia must pass through a forest where strange two-legged wolves are rumored to exist. Wolves intent on redistributing the wealth of the noble citizens who have entered their territory. But the bandit-wolves prove more rakishly handsome than truly dangerous, and it's not until Petunia reaches her destination that she realizes the kindly grandmother she has been summoned to visit is really an enemy bent on restoring an age-old curse. The stories of Red Riding Hood and Robin Hood get a twist as Petunia and her many sisters take on bandits, grannies, and the new King Under Stone to end their family curse once and for all.

Goodreads

My Review:
I had no idea that this book was a series until I started reading it, and at first I was a definitely a little bit confused. I wouldn't recommend starting this book unless you have read the first two..but you definitely can enjoy this book without reading them (though it would have been a little less confusing!). Princess of the Silver Woods is a really great fairy retelling, and I was surprised at how much I liked it.

I really liked how Jessica Day George was able to incorporate so many great aspects of different fairytale myths that we all love! It was really refreshing to read about a fairytale myth that I hadn't ever read about before. Overall, the plot of this book was light and fun..and just plain old cute! I liked seeing the different characters grow throughout this book and it was fun to see them grow. I also liked the setting descriptions as well! This book was beautifully written and I really felt like I was a character in the story! In the end, I really enjoyed Princess of the Silver Woods. If your looking for a lighthearted fantasy read make sure to check this one out!



My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. I did read the other two books (and they are lovely!) so I can't wait to continu this series :D

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one has such a pretty cover. And I would have had no idea it's part of a series either. But it definitely sounds like a good series to look into.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate when I start reading a book from a series without knowing. Thanks for the heads up! I am glad you enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!