Monday, October 24, 2011

Between the Sea and Sky by Jaclyn Dolamore Review

Name: Between the Sea and Sky
Publisher: Bloomsbury USA Children's Books
Release Date: October 25th, 2011
240 pages


For as long as Esmerine can remember, she has longed to join her older sister, Dosinia, as a siren--the highest calling a mermaid can have. When Dosinia runs away to the mainland, Esmerine is sent to retrieve her. Using magic to transform her tail into legs, she makes her way unsteadily to the capital city. There she comes upon a friend she hasn't seen since childhood--a dashing young man named Alandare, who belongs to a winged race of people. As Esmerine and Alandare band together to search for Dosinia, they rekindle a friendship . . . and ignite the emotions for a love so great, it cannot be bound by sea, land, or air.
-Goodreads

My Review:

Overall, I really enjoyed this book! One of the first things that caught my eye about this book was the cover! It is so pretty!

One of the best parts about this book was the plot, it was really different then other mermaid books that I have read which I enjoyed! I also enjoyed seeing Esmerine on both land and sea!

I liked seeing the relationship between Esmerine and Alandare change throughout the novel. It was cool to see it progress and change during this book.

One of the only things I did not like about Between the Sea and Sky was that the end felt really rushed. I wished that the author could have made it a little bit longer and added in more details!

If you like mermaid books and are looking for a quick, fun read, check this book out!

My Rating: Four of Five Stars

2 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE fan of mermaid novels--and mermaids in general--so I'll definitely be picking up Between the Sea and Sky. You're right, the cover is gorgeous! I especially love that little detail of the B turning into a tail fin at the end. Super cute! :D

    I'm really glad you liked it. I've seen some mixed reviews about it, but so far the good is outweighing the bad, so I'm still optimistic about it. I'm just glad there's another good mermaid book on the market, because I feel like mermaids are the one mythical creature that's been really neglected in this huge YA boom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so interested in this book. I have heard of mermaid/siren books and books with winged beings, but I have never heard of one that puts both races in a relationship! Want to read so bad. Adding to TBR!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!