Monday, January 2, 2012

Above World by by Jenn Reese Review

Name: Above World
Publisher: Candlewick Press
Release Date: February 14th, 2012

Thanks to Candlewick press for sending me an ARC copy of this book to review!!


A suspenseful sci-fi escapade plucks two children out of the ocean for a thrilling adventure.

Thirteen-year-old Aluna has lived her entire life under the ocean with the Coral Kampii in the City of Shifting Tides. But after centuries spent hidden from the Above World, her colony's survival is at risk. The Kampii's breathing necklaces are failing, but the elders are unwilling to venture above water to seek answers. Only headstrong Aluna and her friend Hoku are stubborn and bold enough to face the terrors of land to search for way to save their people. But can Aluna's fierce determination and fighting skills and Hoku's tech-savvy keep them safe? Set in a world where overcrowding has led humans to adapt - growing tails to live under the ocean or wings to live on mountains - here is a ride through a future where greed and cruelty have gone unchecked, but the loyalty of friends remains true.
-Goodreads

My Review:
I am normally not a huge science fiction fan but when I when I started reading this book I realized what I had been missing out!!

One of the first things that captivated me was the characters. Aluna is such a strong willed character and is so determined to help others. It was great to see her progress throughout the novel and I was cheering her on throughout the book! Her trusty friend Hoku became one of my favorite characters in this book as well!! At the beginning of the book I was not a really big fan of Hoku but by the end he really was my favorite character.

The plot of this novel was really interesting too!! It was interesting to see how humans dealt with the human population growth by moving to the sea or growing wings. I also really liked how the author was able to take one of my favorite fantasy creatures, mermaids, and make it totally different then what I have read before!!
The only complaint I have about this book is that it was a little slow paced for me and I wish that it moved a little bit quicker.

Overall, I recommend that everyone should check this book out!! It has something for everyone and I can't wait to read more in this series.


My Rating:
Four out of Five Stars

5 comments:

  1. This looks so good! It is definitely now on my to-read list! I love sci-fi books so I can't wait to read this one and see how it is! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading this and enjoying very much. Great review and I'm glad I found your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you enjoyed this book!! I added a link back to your review when I posted mine just now. I like your enthusiasm and your sci-fi take. http://www.burgandyice.blogspot.com/2012/02/review-above-world-by-jenne-reese.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good! I have been craving a new mermaid story lately. Adding to TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another mermaid book! There have been so many & it's hard to find interesting ones. Thanks for reviewing & I'm glad this got 5 stars!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!