Thursday, November 7, 2013

All That Glows Author Interview

Hi everyone! Today I have the lovely Ryan Graudin, the author of the upcoming YA novel, All That Glows, here on the blog answering a few questions!


Can you tell us a little about your novel, All That Glows?
 Certainly! ALL THAT GLOWS is the story of Emrys, a Fae who is forced to guard the rowdy, hard-partying prince of Britain. In a chaos of paparazzi and palace murders she starts to realize she has feelings for him. Impossible feelings.

 Where did you get the idea for this novel?
 At the time I was looking for anthologies to write short stories for and build up my query letter credits. I came across a collection that was looking for stories about faeries that were “modern and sexy.” This prompt immediately sparked my brain. I began to wonder what it would look like if Faery Godmothers were actually real. How would they interact with modern royalty? My answer: ALL THAT GLOWS.

If you could be any character in All That Glows, who would you be and why?
I love Emrys. I really do. And really, who would want to be her? She’s powerful, she can shapeshift, she can fly! There are a few downsides though: she has constant nausea from the sickness caused by modern technology.

What is your favorite part of the writing process?
This is a hard question, because I feel like every single stage has so many rewards and struggles! Rough drafting is great because I can spill whatever I want onto the pages and clean it up later, but some days writing words feels like pulling teeth out with a plier. Editing is always painful, because you have to get rid of a lot of great stuff (kill those darlings!). But the manuscript always turns out so much better for it! Perhaps being done? Holding a finished product in your hand—the fruit of months and years in front of a computer screen—is pretty dang awesome.

Is this is a series? If so, when can we expect the next novel?! J
There is a sequel, which is scheduled to come out in February 2015!

Do you plan on writing any other books in different genres?
Funny you should ask! ALL THAT GLOWS is not the only book I have coming out in 2014. My dark, gritty thriller THE WALLED CITY—the story of three teens trying to survive and escape a lawless walled city—is coming out with Little, Brown next fall. It is about as different as it gets from ALL THAT GLOWS! I’m also working hard on a duology (sekrit project) that will be out from Little, Brown in Fall 2015.

What was your favorite book growing up and why?
 Just one!? I have so many! I devoured the Redwall series by Brian Jacques when I was younger. Also Harry Potter was pretty much a staple in my adolescent years! Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine was actually a huge springboard into my own writing process (I finished the book and wanted to read more. There was no sequel, so I started writing a story of my own!).

Are there any books you would recommend to fellow bloggers and readers out there?
Besides all the ones in the previous question: I’ll Be There by Holly Goldberg Sloan is a really beautiful, thrilling and poignant portrait of humanity. The Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy by Laini Taylor is one of my favorite modern fantasy series. And pretty much anything by Maggie Stiefvater is going to knock your socks off.

Last question..if you could go anywhere in the world where would you go? I love traveling! It’s my bread and butter! I’ve been quite a lot of places already (19 countries and counting!), but I think a destination I’d really LOVE to go to next is Iceland. Every single picture I’ve seen of that island is breathtaking. I’m all about taking in natural beauty.


Ryan Graudin has been a case study for wanderlust ever since her first trip to London. She lives with her husband in Charleston, South Carolina, and is always searching for the next adventure. Visit her online atryangraudin.blogspot.com or on Twitter @ryangraudin.

Thanks again for stopping by Ryan!! Can't wait to check out this book when it comes out this winter :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!