Thursday, June 12, 2014

Solstice by P.J. Hoover Review

Name: Solstice
Author: P.J. Hoover 
Publisher: Tor Teen/Macmillian
Release Date: June 18th, 2013
Format: E-Book
384 pages

Summary:
Piper's world is dying. 

Each day brings hotter temperatures and heat bubbles that threaten to destroy the earth. Amid this global heating crisis, Piper lives under the oppressive rule of her mother, who suffocates her even more than the weather does. Everything changes on her eighteenth birthday, when her mother is called away on a mysterious errand and Piper seizes her first opportunity for freedom.

Piper discovers a universe she never knew existed—a sphere of gods and monsters—and realizes that her world is not the only one in crisis. While gods battle for control of the Underworld, Piper’s life spirals out of control as she struggles to find the answer to the secret that has been kept from her since birth.

An imaginative melding of mythology and dystopia, Solstice is the first YA novel by talented newcomer P. J. Hoover.


Goodreads

My Review:
I've had this book on my kindle for awhile now but I never got around to reading it. I'm so glad I ended up picking this book to read! It had everything I needed to get out of my reading slump..action, mythology, dystopia, and romance!

What I really liked about this book was how original the plot was. I absolutely loved how P.J. was able to tie in the greek mythology aspect to this dystopian setting. I'm a huge fan of greek mythology and I really liked how well it fit in with this story. I do wish we got a little bit more background on some of the characters in this book--especially a little bit more about Piper. I thought Piper was a really great main character and I liked how she cared so much about others instead of herself.

I also really enjoyed the world building that P.J. used! We really got to see what the underworld looked like and I really appreciated that. The only compliant that I have would be that we didn't get to learn more about the global heating crisis...I know the main plot is based in Texas but it would have been nice to have a little bit of background info about what is going on in the rest of the world.

Overall, I really enjoyed Solstice! It was a great blend of dystopian and mythology, and I highly recommend checking it out this summer!

My Rating:









No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!