Sunday, December 30, 2012

Entice (The Violet Eden Chapters # 2) by Jessica Shirvington Review

Name: Entice (The Violet Eden Chapters # 2)
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire
Release Date: September 4th, 2012
Format: Hardcover
Buy the book on Amazon
438 pages


Summary:
Violet Eden is Grigori - part angel, part human. Her destiny is to protect humans from the vengeance of exiled angels. 
Knowing who to trust is key but, when Grigori reinforcements arrive, it becomes clear everyone is hiding something. Even Lincoln. The only thing Violet does know: Phoenix's hold over her is more dangerous than ever. 
The race to find the one thing that could tilt the balance of power brings them all to the sacred mountains of Jordan, where Violet's power will be pushed to the extreme. And the ultimate betrayal exposed. 

Goodreads

My Review:

When I started reading this book, I was a little worried that I wouldn't love it, especially because I could not entirely remember everything that happened in the last book.  However, I was surprised to found that I really enjoyed it!  Most of the characters were well-developed and interesting, the plot was intriguing, and everything important from the last book was re-explained throughout the sequel.

I liked how there really was not much of a love triangle in this book.  One of the reasons why I didn't love the previous book was because of the poorly crafted love triangle between Violet, the sweet caring Lincoln, and the mysteriously dark Phoenix.  By the end of the last book it became clear that Phoenix was mysteriously dark because he was mostly an evil man who liked Violet but was not afraid to kill her if she got in the way.  In this book, I really enjoyed how Violet did not continue to like Phoenix after it became clear he was not a nice man, like some authors might have done.  That being said, I loved the relationship between Lincoln and Violet.  It really developed throughout this book and it was nice to see their highs, their lows, and their (sometimes upsetting) realizations.

I also really enjoyed meeting all the new characters!  While I could not remember everyone from the last book, there were a wealth of new Grigori characters in this book that were truly interesting and fun to read about.  There is the fun-loving, party boy named Spense, who is always the first one to throw himself into the fight for the love of it; then comes the frank Zoe, who is not afraid to share her opinions, no matter what they are; last but not least is Sal, the cute Italian boy who does not speak English well but still falls for Violet's best friend, Steph, who is human.  In addition to the kids, there were also two new adult Grigori characters added in this book, named Nyla and Rudyard; these two represented what could have been the future Violet and Lincoln, and it was certainly informative to see how their life could have ended up.

Overall, I was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book!  It was a fun and interesting read and I will definitely be checking out the third book, Emblaze, when it comes out in March!


My Rating:



1 comment:

  1. Best series Ive read in awhile! Definitely a must read!!! I could not put these books down! If u like supernatural books u must read these.

    Grace Crawford Mens Rash Guard SPF 50 Swim Shirt

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!