Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Delirium (Delirium # 1) by Lauren Oliver Review

Name: Delirium
Author: Lauren Oliver
Publisher:
Harper Teen  
Release Date:
February 1st, 2011
Format:
Paperback
Buy the book on Amazon 
480 pages


Summary:
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing. They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.



Goodreads

My Review:

I can't believe that this book has been out for over a year and I haven't read it!! I was hooked on Delirium from page one, and I couldn't put it down until I was finished.

What really got me into loving Delirium has to be how beautiful this book is written. Lauren Oliver seriously is a genius..this book so stands out as one of the best written books I have ever read. The words flow so smoothly from page to page and every scene caught my attention because of the writing style. The plot of this book really intrigued me when I first heard about this book. I don't read a huge amount of dystopian books but I really liked how Lauren Oliver made this one work. She still makes us feel like we are in a familiar place, but adding the aspect of no love really changes things in the world she creates. It really makes you think how different the world would be without love, and even though it's hard at times we really do need love. At first, I really wasn't sure what to make of the main character Lena. She seemed so unsure about herself and what she wanted..she only knew what she was suppose to do..not what she wanted to do. Once she meets Alex, however, things totally change and her eyes are opened up into a new world. As the book progresses, Lena grows into such a strong willed character and realizes that you should always question, and maybe some things aren't always as they seem.

I LOVED the relationship between Lena and her best friend Hana. While both girls are complete opposites, Hana being more of a wild child and Lena being so reserved, the two really balance each other out and have a great friendship. Hana starts to help Lena break out of her shell and realize that it's okay to go against the rules that you are suppose to follow. The relationship between Alex and Lena is so SWOON WORTHY. He is so caring and sweet, and very very handsome! From the start, I knew that Alex was going to be an awesome character. He helps her see the world in a whole different life and makes her realize that love isn't so scary. Yes, love can cause heartache and pain, but it can always bring joy and happiness. Lena soon realizes love isn't so bad at all, and she would rather have been in love then forget it all.

The ending gets me every time..seriously the ultimate cliff hanger ever!! I can't wait to get started on the second book in the series. Definitely check this book out if your interested in reading a dystopian book with an awesome romance. One more thing, a final quote to leave you all with that really stood out in my mind in this book:  
"You can build walls all the way to the sky and I will find a way to fly above them. You can try to pin me down with a hundred arms, but I will find a way to resist. And there are many of us out there, more than you think. People who refuse to stop believing. People who refuse to come to earth. People who love in a world without walls, people who love into hate, into refusal, against hope, and without fear.
I love you. Remember. They cannot take it." (440-441, Delirium)

My Rating:




10 comments:

  1. Wow the book sounds so good! I have been waiting to get my hands on it and refusing to read an ebook copy of it. But I really can't wait to read it. The book sounds really good.

    Books With Marshmallows

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way Lauren Oliver writes! Glad you liked the book though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Sarah... WowowowowowoWOW. I have this one, and I've been meaning to read it for an age, but... How you describe it, a lnd the writing? I think it needs to move up in my priorities! Beautiful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you loved it too, and that's a great quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice rundown - added to the tbr list

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm really enjoying this series it's just the crazy cliff hangers that kill me! But it doesn't stop me from reading them when they come out! Really great review =)

    ~Paige @ Comfort Books

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe you just read this too! So glad to hear you love this book as much as I do! Awesome review! :D

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really enjoyed this one as well, although I've still yet to pick up the sequel. But hopefully that's one I'll be able to get to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm still unsure of if I want to read this book...I have only heard good things so I don't know why I am so hesitant...:(

    ReplyDelete
  10. *squeals* that expert out the book was really cute. I've been unsure to read, but the TV show kinda ruined for it me. Your review put interest in me again. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!