Friday, August 3, 2012

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion Review

Name: Warm Bodies
Author: Issac Marion
Publisher: Vintage
Release Date: October 28th, 2010
Format: Paperback
Buy the book on Amazon
240 pages

Summary:
A zombie who yearns for a better life ends up falling in love—with a human—in this astonishingly original debut novel.

R is a zombie. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams. He doesn’t enjoy killing people; he enjoys riding escalators and listening to Frank Sinatra. He is a little different from his fellow Dead.

Not just another zombie novel, Warm Bodies is funny, scary, and deeply moving.


Goodreads

My Review:

I never imagined that I could fall in love with a zombie, but here I am talking about a zombie book I loved and a character who caught my attention page after page!  Normally I avoid books about zombies; I don't like the genre and I'm always hesitant to pick up zombie books.

I waited a bit before reading Warm Bodies because I wasn't sure I would like it, but after reading millions of good reviews I finally decided to give it a chance! I'm really happy I did because, as I said earlier, Warm Bodies proved to be a great read. Even though it seemed pretty fast and light, it raised important issues and have thought about how love can influence who you really are.

R, the protagonist, is a zombie. He doesn't remember how his life was before becoming part of the undead, but, unlike his friends, he's able to think, sometimes too much. He continues to question the fact that he is a zombie, but he accepts the situation, certain that he will never become human again. When, looking for a meal, he runs into Julie, or rather, the brain of her dead boyfriend. He feels an inexplicable need to protect her from the other zombies and keep her alive. And everything changes; R begins to feel again what it means to be human and Julie is able to look beyond appearances. The two begin to establish a friendship that soon becomes something more ...

I know that the plot may seem a little unrealistic and even a little disgusting, to be honest. In short, a zombie love? I have to say that the story is very original, but I never thought it would work so well! For the first time we have a chance to be in the mind of a zombie, to understand his emotions, thoughts, and motives. The author made the reader feel immediate empathy with R. While I may have once despised and avoided zombies, somehow I mow understand it and I want to learn more!

R is a wonderful character. He is so honest, sincere, sweet and romantic; it's impossible not to fall in love with him! I really liked Julie as well. She is a strong and brave girl who can really appreciate and love R despite the fact that he is a zombie, and that he killed her boyfriend! The ending was lovely! Parts of it were left in abeyance, but it was so beautiful that I didn't notice!

My vote for this book is 4 stars! Warm Bodies is a fantastic book that definitely deserves to be read! Give it a chance; it will not disappoint!

My Rating:






2 comments:

  1. I've seen mixed reviews on this one, but I'm glad you enjoyed it :D The premise of a zombie falling in love is... kind of weird, actually, but it's good to know the romance works out!

    Also, great review! >.<

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this book on my wishlist! And not only because it has zombies in it, which I like, but also because the cover is awesome (the other cover). Great review. I can't wait to read this! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!