Friday, August 17, 2012

Demonglass (Hex Hall # 2) by Rachel Hawkins Review

Name: Demonglass (Hex Hall # 2)
Author: Rachel Hawkins
Publisher: Hyperion  
Release Date: March 22nd, 2011 
Format: Hardcover
Buy the Book on Amazon
354 pages

Summary:
Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


Goodreads

My Review:
I liked Hex Hall, but I absolutely loved Demonglass! I originally thought it would be a light, fresh, and fun read like the first book of the series, but I didn't expected I to like it so much! In the previous book, Sophie finds out that she isn't a witch like she always thought, but that she's a demon, one of the two (her father is a demon also) in the whole world.

In Demonglass, Sophie sees herself as a monster and decides to go through the Removal, a process that will remove all her powers, despite the fact that it could kill her. So, along with her father, Jenna (her vampire best friend), and Cal (who happens to be her betrothed), she goes to England to the place where Archer is apparently hiding. Her father tries to convince her that the Removal is not her only option and so he teachers her how to control her powers. It is then that Sophie meets two others demons, Nick and Daisy, who were transformed when they were just kids. When the members of The Eye discover that someone is raising demons again, they become more aggressively determined than ever to kill Sophie and her father.

Sophie is such a great character! She's so funny and smart and she made me laugh out loud several times; I loved her sarcasm! Then there's the love triangle. Lately I have started to hate them, not because they are in every single book I read, but because they are, mostly, completely useless! This book's triangle doesn't make a difference. It was pointless, but I still really liked it and I appreciated the fact that Sophie doesn't think of these two guys all the time and that she focuses on very important things like surviving and saving her friends and her family from The Eye.

The end left me a little stunned. I didn't expected another cliffhanger! Luckily I already have the sequel, Spell Bound, and I will read it as soon as possible! My rating is five stars! Yes, Demonglass isn't certainly the best book of the year, but it made me laugh for hours, and after the first few pages I literally started to devour it! If you liked Hex Hall, you definitely should read this book!
My Rating:




4 comments:

  1. OMG! That good? I really really need to read the Hex Hall! I feel like Im missing half of my life! Gah! Thanks for the wonderful review Sarah xox

    Ƹ̴Ӂ̴ƷFICBOOKREVIEWSƸ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Niiiice! I have this on my TBR mountain! Think its towards the bottom because I bought it so long ago with the third one! Really can't wait to read it! There are seriously too many books and not enough time!

    Excellent review! I really do look forward to reading this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi!
    I just came across your site and it is really lovely! I happily followed you and will enjoy reading your updates. You can find me over at Rainy Day Reads, www.rainydayreads.com It would be great if you could stop by and I would love to have a fellow book lover as a new follower.
    Christine x
    Rainy Day Reads
    www.rainydayreads.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved this series so far! I have the third book, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. I'm planning on reading it over Labor Day weekend. Hoping it's as good as the others have been!

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for commenting :) I love reading all comments and they really do make my day!